HVAC-Refrigeration / Service
The HVAC-Refrigeration/Service Steamfitter apprenticeship is a 5-year time-based program consisting of installing, performing start-up, preventative maintenance, troubleshooting, diagnosing, and servicing the piping, equipment, and controls for HVAC, refrigeration, and various process systems that carry water, refrigerants, steam, chemicals, air, liquid gases, or fuel used in heating, cooling, food and beverage, manufacturing, power generating, lubricating, and all other process piping systems.
Installation and Service of HVAC-R systems includes basic knowledge as follows:
- Vapor-compression refrigeration cycle, compressors, metering devices, and heat exchangers.
- Fundamental understanding of electrical principles that enable proper diagnosis of electrical controls.
- Diagnostic skills to troubleshoot, repair, and maintain heating, cooling, and air-handling equipment.
- Troubleshoot, repair, and maintain steam and pumped-liquid piping systems used for heating, cooling, and industrial processes.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to keep customers, dispatchers, and managers informed.
There are two (2) available programs to become an HVAC-R/Service Steamfitter for Steamfitters Local 601, the Apprenticeship Training Program for and the Accelerated Service Program for those with an extensive HVAC/Service background. Both will result in achieving Journeyman-Level Steamfitter status upon successful completion of the program.